Invented in 1925, Sakura Color Products of Osaka, Japan, formulated Cray-Pas oil pastels with premium quality pigments, wax and oil. The motivation was to provide school children with a blend-able, smooth textured art material to help promote creativity and self-expression.
See Cray-pas History to discover invention details!
With innovation, first-class ingredients, and the belief of an individual’s Power to Express™ at its core, the company expanded the oil pastel family offering, which now consists of Junior Artist®, Expressionist®, and Specialist®. Today, the finest elements continue to make up Cray-Pas oil pastels. And the Cray-Pas family is ideally suited to compliment technique and expression development from childhood through high school, college, and into the professional level.
Young artists blossom with creamy, smooth color that they can smear, blend, dot, over-lap and mix. They can learn how to hold a stick to achieve different strokes – either as a pencil, clenched in a fist or on its side. Scratch and stencil art are possible in addition to working with water color over variety. Creativity and interest are enhanced with materials that encourage exploration and expression.
Cray-Pas Junior Artist Oil Pastel features:
- Meets non-toxicity requirements
- No use of tree-nut oils, soy, latex, wheat, oat, barley,animal oils or waxes, dairy, casein, or egg ingredients
- Will not peel, crack or flake, and are easily blend-able
- Oil paint effects, overlaying color, and a variety of effects can be experienced
Cray-Pas Junior Artist Oil Pastel availability:
- A round stick comes in three sizes – Regular (8mm dia.r x 60.8 mm), Chubbie (18 mm dia. x 60 mm) & Jumbo (10 mm dia. x 71 mm)
- Black and white only sold as open stock; Colors available only in assorted sets: 12, 16, 25, 50 pieces
- Colorpacks are an economical option – Regular stick Colorpack: 432 pieces & Jumbo stick Colorpack: 288 pieces